Thursday, May 1

I'm leaving for asheville to see wilco in seven hours, and I should try to sleep for at least part of that time. but my sleeping patterns have become wonky again, so we'll see.

tonight I went to the gay/lesbian cinema students' presentations on drag. the first was a performance by this awesome drag queen who dressed up as tinky winky and lip synched to "I'm coming out." the second was a documentary on guilford students' views on drag and transvestitism (mostly positive, naturally). both were interesting and informative, not to mention thought provoking.

see, for some reason I've always found drag queens intimidating. it's funny to say, but the idea of going to a full-on drag show has always made me uncomfortable. I think it's because female impersonators are comfortable with their sexuality in a way that I've never been, fully willing to acknowledge their effeminacy. I spend too much time worrying about not seeming masculine enough while these fabulous gals embrace their inner queens. it still makes me feel threatened, but after enjoying tonight I could see myself learning to appreciate it.

in addition to frisco and nyc, I've been trying to come up with another area to consider for post-guilford schooling. I'm gravitating back toward boston, specifically because of emerson college. the school focuses entirely on communications. they offer both b.a. and b.f.a. in general film studies and graduate programs focusing on different aspects of filmmaking. students get access to all kinds of great technology, it's absolutely filled with pierced blue-haired freaks, and has the #1 college radio station to boot. I think I'd like it.

it is so hot in this apartment that I think I'm going to croak. can't open my window--no screen, and I hate mosquitos so much. the a/c is on, blowing lukewarm air. it'll be fun trying to sleep in this. but in case anyone wants to know, due to the heat I'll be doing so in the buff. bring your sketchpads, tap on the window, and prepare to be blinded.

No comments: