Monday, November 19

generally reading any of my old poetry makes me want to barf, but this one's not too bad:

youth wasted on children

I think about standing at washington square
in new york watching a tweed-clad boy
with a super 8 camera film pigeons and
feeling more envious than I ever had

and I wonder if I want a bonfire by the lake
or an old house filled with wood for my
children to slide down banisters and
smear peanut butter on the oriental rugs

and I hope that it’s not always necessary
to leave one life behind for another, and if
I can’t at least put off growing up long enough
to get away with a few more fits of hysteria

and I grow smug looking back on the
teenaged me that had so much fun affecting
adulthood with jim beam and cigarettes
and think man, if you only knew

if you only knew

© 2007 jeremy ball. all rights reserved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really great; really insightful. I've been kind of ruminating on that stuff as of late. I adopted a kid for Xmas (adopted in the sense of "buying presents for," not "caring for and providing for"), and accordingly, I've been sort of reliving my childhood (which I think full-on drove J. crazy for a whole weekend). I feel like working is more intellectually stimulating than being a kid was (I know, that sounds weird - I just think I'm bored less), and there are a lot of perks (ice cream dinners), but my unmitigated excitement for Island Princess Barbies kind of makes me wonder whether I really came out ahead in this.