Saturday, May 3

in light of the "inferno test," here are my thoughts on Heaven and Hell:

as a Christian, I firmly believe in both. I do not, however, see Heaven as a place where harp-wielding cherubs circulate or Hell as a place where fiery tongues snap at the flesh of transgressors. I think that both are relative; otherwise, our souls would give up their individuality upon death, which I don't think happens. whatever your personal Heaven or Hell is, that's what you get.

I don't know exactly what my personal Heaven would be, but I think I know what Hell would entail. it would be remarkably like my Heaven: a beautiful place with unlimited resources and potential. the difference? I wouldn't be able to enjoy it, and somehow it would be my fault. I would be surrounded by happy, sensible people in full control of their lives. I would be given great opportunities for money, relationships, all that, only to squander them unwisely every time. I'd be forced to wallow in the misery of my character faults and innate stupidity. sort of like my life of late, haw haw.

anyway, it's all about the psychological torture, knowing that I'm more senseless and foolhardy than anyone else. because I think that's the most important aspect of Heaven and Hell--always being reminded that your afterlife is your own life's creation. that can be either the ultimate punishment or reward.

"and after setting all that to paper," quoth the boozy pseudo-philosopher, "I decided to go to bed."

No comments: