Saturday, April 19

a quick update--as it's been such a marvelous day. ali and I took carra up to hollins today so she could meet up with tracy (her sister) and ride back home. then back to roanoke for a drive up to the star, dinner at saltori's, and coffee at mill mountain. it was a delightful way to kill a day; would have been better if the weather had been nicer.

the plan for tonight was to chill out with a cheesy flick, but ali, josh and I ended up bullshitting for five solid hours about everything under the sun. I do love my friends. we've finally consigned ourselves to bed; good thing, as our radio show is in less than nine hours!

so one of our big discussion topics tonight was sex (what a shocker). my sexual theory: the bottom line is that sex is physical contact. period. sex can be an extension of other emotions (love, etc), but doesn't have to be. nor should sex be construed as evidence of emotional attachment. and most important--in any sexual encounter, the parties involved should all be aware of and comfortable with what they expect and what is expected of them. if everyone lays their cards on the table and is cool with whatever is going on, great.

in general, I just think that people read way too much into sex. it's societally constructed. there's no innate mechanism in the human brain that connects intercourse with interpersonal emotion. but over hundreds of years--thousands, I suppose--we've come to intertwine the two. that's why people are so prudish and guarded. at least, that's what I think. I guess that my views on sex are a little cheap, but I've become awfully jaded over the past few years. and after all I've been through with various and sundry people, I guess I just can't help feeling sorry for people who make sex into a big deal. it's just not realistic.

I'll tell you what else isn't realistic about sex. the prospect of my having any in the near future. I guess I'll just have to pour myself into my research paper...which I still have to do...

No comments: